- The government of Tanzania's efforts to battle maternal mortality is on a sound footing. Dar-es-Salaam secured a US$ 59 million grant to finance a project that supports reduction of mortality rate among nursery pupils in large parts of Tanzania. The country has been among the few successful in reducing its maternal mortality rate so far.
The total cost of the project is estimated at $US 65.75 million. Of this amount, Funds of Development (FAD) - the concessional counter of the African Group of Bank of Development (BAD) - accounts for 90 percent of the cost while the government of Tanzania supplements the remaining 10 percent.
The loan is expected to curb the acceleration of maternal mortality and new-born mortality in the country's regions of Mara, Mtwara, Tabora and Zanzibar that have about over three million inhabitants, representing 12 percent of the whole country's population.
"The principal recipients of the project will be primarily the poor communities of," a statement by the African Development Bank said, adding that it will also entail the capacity building in the country's health sector.
"The capacities and competences of the personnel of health establishments of primary education level will be also reinforced thanks to a continuous programme of improvement of the capacities of primary health. The project will reinforce health and maternal services in the Island of Zanzibar," the ADB statement added.
Worried about its high maternity rate, Tanzania in the 1990s adopted a strategy based on raising the status of women, increasing health education and improving access to family planning. The private health sector also began to play an important role in maternity services.
Unlike many developing countries, Tanzania was able to decrease its maternal mortality rate as a result of its health education. A recent study revealed that more than half of the country's maternal deaths occur among women in their twenties.
afrol News - It is called "financial inclusion", and it is a key government policy in Rwanda. The goal is that, by 2020, 90 percent of the population is to have and actively use bank accounts. And in only four years, financial inclusion has doubled in Rwanda.
afrol News - The UN's humanitarian agencies now warn about a devastating famine in Sudan and especially in South Sudan, where the situation is said to be "imploding". Relief officials are appealing to donors to urgently fund life-saving activities in the two countries.
afrol News - Fear is spreading all over West Africa after the health ministry in Guinea confirmed the first Ebola outbreak in this part of Africa. According to official numbers, at least 86 are infected and 59 are dead as a result of this very contagious disease.
afrol News - It is already a crime being homosexual in Ethiopia, but parliament is now making sure the anti-gay laws will be applied in practical life. No pardoning of gays will be allowed in future, but activist fear this only is a signal of further repression being prepared.
afrol News / Africa Renewal - Ethiopia's ambitious plan to build a US$ 4.2 billion dam in the Benishangul-Gumuz region, 40 km from its border with Sudan, is expected to provide 6,000 megawatts of electricity, enough for its population plus some excess it can sell to neighbouring countries.