- Letšeng Diamond mine has recovered a 478-carat diamond, one of the largest and highest quality round polished diamonds, company has revealed in a statement.
The gem which was discovered on 8 September in Lesotho and not yet named, it is already 20th largest rough diamond found, and if cut and polished, could be the largest ever polished round diamond, weighing in at 150 carats, according to diamond specialists.
The mine, which was owned by De Beers for many years, has already produced three of the world's biggest diamonds. These are the 603-carat Lesotho Promise, 493-carat Letšeng Legacy and the 601-carat Lesotho Brown.
Experts in Antwerp, Belgium, who analysed the 478-carat stone determined it to be of the highest color grading available for a white diamond, said a statement from Gem Diamonds Ltd., the company that found the stone.
"What makes it more remarkable is the color and quality of this stone," said diamond consultant Neil Buxton, further stating that it is a D color, which is highest possible graded color which could produce over 100 carats.
Clifford Elphick, Gem Diamonds' chief executive, said: "Preliminary examination of this remarkable diamond indicates that it will yield a record-breaking polished stone of the very best colour and clarity."
The Letšeng mine is owned by a mining company that is 70 percent owned by Gem Diamonds, with remaining 30 percent held by the Lesotho government.
Mr Elphick said Letšeng continues to reward its shareholders with production of significant diamonds and to confirm its position as one of the great mines in diamond industry.
"With a further 45 years of life remaining, we expect Letšeng to make history for many years to come."
Letšeng Diamond mine was reopned in 2005 after years of inactivity.
afrol News - It is called "financial inclusion", and it is a key government policy in Rwanda. The goal is that, by 2020, 90 percent of the population is to have and actively use bank accounts. And in only four years, financial inclusion has doubled in Rwanda.
afrol News - The UN's humanitarian agencies now warn about a devastating famine in Sudan and especially in South Sudan, where the situation is said to be "imploding". Relief officials are appealing to donors to urgently fund life-saving activities in the two countries.
afrol News - Fear is spreading all over West Africa after the health ministry in Guinea confirmed the first Ebola outbreak in this part of Africa. According to official numbers, at least 86 are infected and 59 are dead as a result of this very contagious disease.
afrol News - It is already a crime being homosexual in Ethiopia, but parliament is now making sure the anti-gay laws will be applied in practical life. No pardoning of gays will be allowed in future, but activist fear this only is a signal of further repression being prepared.
afrol News / Africa Renewal - Ethiopia's ambitious plan to build a US$ 4.2 billion dam in the Benishangul-Gumuz region, 40 km from its border with Sudan, is expected to provide 6,000 megawatts of electricity, enough for its population plus some excess it can sell to neighbouring countries.